Monday, December 24, 2018

Writing at Night: How to further dim an inverted color Android screen

I woke up at 5 AM as usual, completing my journal entry for yesterday. Today's journal entry seems like I am writing about writing. I probably wrote for seven hours.

Since I woke up so early, I wrote in darkness. I inverted the screen color to reduce the bright colors. I actually wanted the brightness of the colors to be darker or dimmer. I do this to reduce the strain on my eyes. Looking on the Android Play Store, I found many apps to dim my screen, but an interesting concept is that dimming an inverted screen actually makes the screen a brighter hue. These apps don't actually dim the brightness of the phone, but they modify the display to look dimmer by causing the white colors look more grayish or a less bright white hue. 

This inverted dimming situation was a problem to solve. Most apps were straight forward, but an app called Night Shift actually had an option to make the screen brighter. I found that making a screen with inverted colors brighter actually dimmed the display. The next paragraph is a side note that I wrote for Android users.

I have the One Plus 5 phone, and it does not have an onscreen navigation bar, having physical buttons, so the screen is a uniform black color; therefore, I am lucky to have the option to hide the navigation bar natively, since I have a One Plus 5. Writing in the dark with other Android phones would not have a uniform display, since the navigation bar is usually inverted to a white color from black.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elon Musk's Starlink to serve North America gigabit internet by end of the year

Trevor and I did two sessions of recordings because we were not satisfied with the first, discussing the following topics for this podcast e...