Saturday, February 2, 2019

Counting up to 9,999,999

One thing that I have been writing about is my practice of counting in Thai. I reached up to 999 in my last update. I can count up to 9999999 now. Thai is interesting because there is a word for ten thousand & one hundred thousand. I developed a way for me to remember the order and name of each number. 

The learning aid is inspired or chosen because PMS exists. I don't know want it is. All I know is that it is a girl thing, and it messes with their emotions. I also add an R to the left, and a L on the right of PMS; RPMSL. Some things are backwards in the Thai language, so R, standing for 'right' hand, and L for 'left' hand is backward. L is not on the left, and R is not on the right of the acronym PMS. 

R stands for 100, which is pronounced Roy. The 'R' is rolled, but it is a very quick one. P stands for the word phan, which is 1000. The H is less emphasized. The ph does not make a F sound, or you will bring your significant other into your high digit numbers. 10,000 is pronounced 'muen'. The U is wierd in this word. I don't know an English word to illustrate the sound. 'San' is the word for 100,000 dollars. That word is simple, and 1,000,000 is simple too as it is pronounced 'Lan'. 

I like to practice the number 1,234,567 or ๑,๒๓๔,๕๖๗. It is pronounced Neng Lan Song San Sam Muen Si Phan Ha Roy Hok Sip Jet. 


๑ = 1 (Neng)

๑,๐๐๐,๐๐๐ = one million (Lan)

๒ = 2 (Song)

๑๐๐,๐๐๐ = one hundred thousand (San)

๓ = 3 (Sam)

๑๐,๐๐๐ = ten thousand (Muen)

๔ = 4 (Si)

๑,๐๐๐ = one thousand (Phan)

๕ = 5 (Ha)

๑๐๐ = one hundred (Roy)

๖ = 6 (Hok)

๑๐ = ten (Sib)

๗ = 7 (jet)


R(100)

P(1,000)

M(10,000)

S(100,000)

L(1,000,000)


I actually think counting in Thai is more simple than English. Many things are more simple in Thai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elon Musk's Starlink to serve North America gigabit internet by end of the year

Trevor and I did two sessions of recordings because we were not satisfied with the first, discussing the following topics for this podcast e...