Friday, February 28, 2020

“I am able to do mine own work”


During family scripture study, we explored the following questions from “Come Follow Me”, concerning 2 Nephi 27:20-21: What might the Lord mean when He says, “I am able to do mine own work”? How does this truth influence the way we serve in His Church?
Previous to the session with Jessica, I was reading of the sons of Lehi’s attempts to retrieve the brass plates from Laban. I asked Jessica God’s purpose for her new calling. She said something like to help the youth come unto Christ by mental, social, physical, and spiritual achievements. I was prompted to ask her if she believed in God’s purpose because your belief is expressed in your effort.
Laman asks Laban for the brass plates.
Laman received the commandment of God, but he did not believe in the commandment of God. He probably relied on God too much. He merely asked Laban for the brass plates, explaining that the genealogy of his fathers are on the plates. Who can say whether this is the best way to fulfill the commandment to obtain the brass plates?
2 Nephi 27:21 states “I am able to do mine own work.” Nephi believed this. We may face daunting roles to fulfill in work and callings, but if we believe that God can guide us, we can fulfill the commandments of the Lord.
How do we not rely on God too much? How can we get God’s guidance?
I said that Laman relied on God too much because he expected that God would provide the plates merely by asking. God said the following to teach Oliver Cowdery:
“You have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me. But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.”
Do you expect that God will do things for you without your due diligence?
I already gave you the path to receive God’s guidance in the verses that I quoted above.
The point of this article is that to fulfill the commandments of God. You need to believe that God has the power to fulfill his word through you or in your life. Nephi believed this in many people’s favorite scripture.
“And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.” (1 Nephi 3:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elon Musk's Starlink to serve North America gigabit internet by end of the year

Trevor and I did two sessions of recordings because we were not satisfied with the first, discussing the following topics for this podcast e...